NYCRUNS recently did a quick poll of amenities people wanted for our upcoming Queens Half Marathon. I wanted to record a few observations for posterity. The full results are below.
- We know some people care about the shirt, particularly for a big race. We did not expect 80% of people to say they cared.
- I’m happy to see that people really care about the post-race meal. Frankly, getting fresh bagels, spreads, and some of the other things we do from time to time like ice cream is not that easy.
- I really didn’t expect to see that so many people cared about clocks and timing points at every mile. With that in mind, we will have clocks at every mile and as many split points as we can pull off, certainly no less than 4. We’re going to introduce more split points and also clocks at other races too, particularly in Central Park.
- At the same time, I would have expected live tracking to be as popular or more so than clocks and timing mats. Either way, we’ll have that too.
- To a lesser extent, I expected more enthusiasm about expo events and post race parties, However, as a runner, I think I’m always more enthusiastic about them in theory than in practice, so maybe we’re all on to something.