Policies & Rules Of Competition
Refunds, Transfers and Deferrals
Once you have entered a race, your entry fees are non-exchangeable, non-transferable, and non-refundable, under any and all circumstances, including, but not limited to, cancellation of the event or of your participation, or change in the date, nature, or format of the event. An event may be cancelled or changed due to severe weather or other factors that threaten the safety of participants, staff, or volunteers. Cancellation or change of the date, nature, or format of an event may be mandated by governmental officials or otherwise be at the discretion of New York City Runs, Inc. (“NYCRUNS”).
For NYCRUNS owned and operated races, we offer a membership program, which entitles you to 2 any-reason deferrals per year. Please see our membership page for details. This does not apply to client races. There are no other exceptions.
At any given time, NYCRUNS may offer the same race at different prices on different sites, run a special that effects the price of a race on one site but not another, or offer a special rate to a certain group. Should you find a price within 24 hours of registering for a race – email us and we will issue you a race credit for the difference. This offer does not include the added fees a site like active.com may charge.
All NYCRUNS races are capped. Price and entry is subject to availability.
NYCRUNS reserves the right to change the price of any race in its sole discretion with or without notice.
Awards will be available for pick up on Mondays and Thursdays from 4-7 PM (except holidays) at the NYCRUNS office (61 9th Street #C2, Brooklyn, NY 11215). You must provide us 48-hour’s notice before coming to the office to pick up your award or we may not be available. All awards are held at the office for one month from the date of the race. After that time, awards will no longer be available for pick up.
Rules Of Competition
The following applies to NYCRUNS races only. NYCRUNS also works on many client races. For client races, please check the client website or registration pages for available information.
• No strollers, skates, bicycles, or animals are permitted.
• You must be at the start of any given race on time or you risk not being scored. We begin pulling start mats no more than five minutes after the gun, often sooner.
• Please note the following maximum finish times and paces for all of our races:
- 5K: 1 hour (19:18 min/mi pace)
- 5 Miles: 1 hour, 15 minutes (15 min/mi pace)
- 10K: 1 hour, 30 minutes (14:29 min/mi pace)
- 10 Miles: 2 hours, 30 minutes (15 min/mi pace)
- Half-marathon: 3 hours (13:43 min/mi pace)
- Marathon and other distances: Refer to individual race pages
As long as you meet those requirements, you can rest assured your efforts will be supported with hydration stations, course amenities, and proper medical coverage just in case. If you cannot maintain the minimum pace at an NYCRUNS event, your finish time may not be recorded and you may be asked to remove yourself from competition by either vacating the course or surrendering your race bib. Please understand that these requirements are for your safety.
• We recognize that many of you run best with music or audiobooks but to ensure your safety and the safety of others, please do so in a manner that allows you to be aware of your surroundings. We’d prefer that you leave one ear unobstructed by only wearing one earbud at all times. If at any time NYCRUNS Staff or Volunteers see that you do not heed the directions of a course marshal or your awareness is otherwise hindered by your headphones or earbuds, you may be disqualified.
• You may not transfer your bib or timing device to another participant. For a thorough explanation of this policy, please read this post.
• If the event you are registered for has multiple races (e.g. a 5K and a 10K) you are allowed to switch races but you must do so via email before online registration closes. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request switches, and for a thorough explanation of this policy, please read this post.
• The top 3 in each gender are scored by gun time. All age group awards are done by net (chip) time.
•Results are finalized 48 hours after the end of a race. If you find any discrepancies or questions about results, please contact email@example.com within 24 hours of the end of the race.