Policies & Rules Of Competition
Refunds, Transfers and Deferrals
Once you have entered a race, your entry fees are non-exchangeable, non-transferable, and non-refundable, under any and all circumstances, including, but not limited to, cancellation of the event or of your participation, or change in the date, nature, or format of the event. An event may be cancelled or changed due to severe weather or other factors that threaten the safety of participants, staff, or volunteers. Cancellation or change of the date, nature, or format of an event may be mandated by governmental officials or otherwise be at the discretion of New York City Runs, Inc. (“NYCRUNS”).
For NYCRUNS owned and operated races, we offer a membership program, which entitles you to 2 any-reason deferrals per year. Please see our membership page for details. This does not apply to client races.
At any given time, NYCRUNS may offer the same race at different prices on different sites, run a special that effects the price of a race on one site but not another, or offer a special rate to a certain group. Should you find a price within 24 hours of registering for a race – email us and we will issue you a race credit for the difference. This offer does not include the added fees a site like active.com may charge.
All NYCRUNS races are capped. Price and entry is subject to availability.
NYCRUNS reserves the right to change the price of any race in its sole discretion with or without notice.
The following applies to NYCRUNS races only. NYCRUNS also works on many client races. For client races, please check the client website or registration pages for available information.
NYCRUNS events are rain or shine. We generally will not cancel an event unless we feel conditions are unsafe for participants, volunteers, and staff. This decision may also be made for us by permitting authorities. In some instances, particularly when thunder and lightning are in the immediate vicinity of the race course, we may delay the start of an event.
If we think weather might impact an event, we will post updates on social media and on the NYCRUNS event page as soon as possible. In the event that we do cancel an event, we will post on social media and on the NYCRUNS event page, and also email all participants as soon as possible.
After results of a given race have been finalized, awards will be personalized with the names of their winners and winners will be notified via email. If the address provided during registration and shipping address are the same, an award winner needs not do anything further. If an award winner wishes their award be shipped elsewhere, they must follow the instructions contained in the notification email to submit a change of address form. Unfortunately, NYCRUNS cannot ship awards internationally. If an award winner from outside the US wishes to have an award shipped to an address within the US, they similarly must submit the change of address form. Any award winner submitting a change of address must do so within 2 weeks of the award notification email. All attempts will be made to ship awards in a timely manner but please note NYCRUNS cannot guarantee a date of receipt nor can an award that is lost, stolen, or damaged during shipment be replaced.
Rules Of Competition
• No strollers, skates, bicycles, or animals are permitted.
• You must be at the start of any given race on time or you risk not being scored. We begin pulling start mats no more than five minutes after the gun, often sooner.
• Please note the following maximum finish times and paces for all of our races:
- 5K: 1 hour (19:18 min/mi pace)
- 5 Miles: 1 hour, 15 minutes (15 min/mi pace)
- 10K: 1 hour, 30 minutes (14:29 min/mi pace)
- 10 Miles: 2 hours, 30 minutes (15 min/mi pace)
- Half-marathon: 3 Hours, 30 Minutes (16:02 min/mi pace)
- Marathon and other distances: Refer to individual race pages
As long as you meet those requirements, you can rest assured your efforts will be supported with hydration stations, course amenities, and proper medical coverage. If you cannot maintain the minimum pace at an NYCRUNS event, your finish time may not be recorded and you may be asked to remove yourself from competition by either vacating the course or surrendering your race bib. Please understand that these requirements are for your safety.
• We recognize that many of you run best with music or audiobooks but to ensure your safety and the safety of others, please do so in a manner that allows you to be aware of your surroundings. We’d prefer that you leave one ear unobstructed by only wearing one earbud at all times. If at any time NYCRUNS Staff or Volunteers see that you do not heed the directions of a course marshal or your awareness is otherwise hindered by your headphones or earbuds, you may be disqualified.
• You may not transfer your bib or timing device to another participant. For a thorough explanation of this policy, please read this post.
• If the event you are registered for has multiple races (e.g. a 5K and a 10K) you are allowed to switch races but you must do so via email before online registration closes. Email us at email@example.com to request switches, and for a thorough explanation of this policy, please read this post.
• The top 3 in each gender are scored by gun time. All age group awards are done by net (chip) time.
•NYCRUNS reserves the right to reject any entry and to disqualify and bar any individual from any event for any reason. This rejection/disqualification may be based on, but is not limited to: violation of any rule or instruction set forth by NYCRUNS, any client race director, the New York City Parks Department, any New York City agency, or any other governing body; unsportsmanlike conduct; non-payment of race fees; competing with an unofficial number; competing with an official number or BibTag assigned to another person; transferring or attempting to transfer an official number or BibTag to, or to obtain such number or BibTag from, another person; crossing the finish line without having completed the entire course; and providing false information on the race entry form. Individuals disqualified from a race will be removed from the race results and may be barred from future events.