Policies & Rules Of Competition
Refunds, Transfers and Deferrals
Once you have entered a race, your entry fees are non-exchangeable, non-transferable, and non-refundable, under any and all circumstances, including, but not limited to, cancellation of the event or of your participation, or change in the date, nature, or format of the event. An event may be cancelled or changed due to severe weather or other factors that threaten the safety of participants, staff, or volunteers. Cancellation or change of the date, nature, or format of an event may be mandated by governmental officials or otherwise be at the discretion of New York City Runs, Inc. (“NYCRUNS”).
For NYCRUNS owned and operated races, we offer a membership program, which entitles you to 2 any-reason deferrals per year. Please see our membership page for details. This does not apply to client races.
At any given time, NYCRUNS may offer the same race at different prices on different sites, run a special that effects the price of a race on one site but not another, or offer a special rate to a certain group. Should you find a price within 24 hours of registering for a race – email us and we will issue you a race credit for the difference. This offer does not include the added fees a site like active.com may charge.
All NYCRUNS races are capped. Price and entry is subject to availability.
NYCRUNS reserves the right to change the price of any race in its sole discretion with or without notice.
NYCRUNS will send out a final results email several days after an event with instructions on how to claim awards. Runners have two weeks from the date that email is sent to claim their awards. NYCRUNS will then send the awards to any U.S. address requested once they are personalized with runner names. NYCRUNS will send awards to foreign addresses but their will be additional postage charges (on average $20-$50.). Awards sent to foreign countries are not replaceable if lost or damaged in transit.
Rules Of Competition
The following applies to NYCRUNS races only. NYCRUNS also works on many client races. For client races, please check the client website or registration pages for available information.
• No strollers, skates, bicycles, or animals are permitted.
• You must be at the start of any given race on time or you risk not being scored. We begin pulling start mats no more than five minutes after the gun, often sooner.
• Please note the following maximum finish times and paces for all of our races:
- 5K: 1 hour (19:18 min/mi pace)
- 5 Miles: 1 hour, 15 minutes (15 min/mi pace)
- 10K: 1 hour, 30 minutes (14:29 min/mi pace)
- 10 Miles: 2 hours, 30 minutes (15 min/mi pace)
- Half-marathon: 3 Hours, 30 Minutes (16:02 min/mi pace)
- Marathon and other distances: Refer to individual race pages
As long as you meet those requirements, you can rest assured your efforts will be supported with hydration stations, course amenities, and proper medical coverage. If you cannot maintain the minimum pace at an NYCRUNS event, your finish time may not be recorded and you may be asked to remove yourself from competition by either vacating the course or surrendering your race bib. Please understand that these requirements are for your safety.
• We recognize that many of you run best with music or audiobooks but to ensure your safety and the safety of others, please do so in a manner that allows you to be aware of your surroundings. We’d prefer that you leave one ear unobstructed by only wearing one earbud at all times. If at any time NYCRUNS Staff or Volunteers see that you do not heed the directions of a course marshal or your awareness is otherwise hindered by your headphones or earbuds, you may be disqualified.
• You may not transfer your bib or timing device to another participant. For a thorough explanation of this policy, please read this post.
• If the event you are registered for has multiple races (e.g. a 5K and a 10K) you are allowed to switch races but you must do so via email before online registration closes. Email us at email@example.com to request switches, and for a thorough explanation of this policy, please read this post.
• The top 3 in each gender are scored by gun time. All age group awards are done by net (chip) time.
•NYCRUNS reserves the right to reject any entry and to disqualify and bar any individual from any event for any reason. This rejection/disqualification may be based on, but is not limited to: violation of any rule or instruction set forth by NYCRUNS, any client race director, the New York City Parks Department, any New York City agency, or any other governing body; unsportsmanlike conduct; non-payment of race fees; competing with an unofficial number; competing with an official number or BibTag assigned to another person; transferring or attempting to transfer an official number or BibTag to, or to obtain such number or BibTag from, another person; crossing the finish line without having completed the entire course; and providing false information on the race entry form. Individuals disqualified from a race will be removed from the race results and may be barred from future events.