Policies + Rules Of Competion & Scoring
Refunds and Deferrals
NYCRUNS adheres to a strict no-refunds, no-deferrals policy. We do, however, offer a membership program, which entitles you to 2 any-reason deferrals per year. Please see our membership page for details.
For our larger races, we offer an insurance option, which you may purchase when registering for a specific race. Insurance guards against health-related reasons that may prevent you from running the race for which you registered, and allows you to defer entry to the same event the following year. Please note that this is for medical reasons only, and as such, we require proof from your doctor — a note will do! You must select the insurance option when registering for the race; if it is available, it will be apparent on the registration page. Insurance can not be purchased later and applied retroactively.
Rules and Regulations of Competition*
• You must be at the start of any given race on time or you risk not being scored. We begin pulling start mats five minutes after the gun.
• In order to comply with our permits from the City and the Parks Department, our races have a time limit based on a 15-minute per-mile pace, approximately 46 minutes for a 5K, 1:33 for a 10K, etc.
• You may not transfer your bib or timing device to another participant. For a thorough explanation of this policy, please read this NYCRUNS blog post.
• If the event you are registered for has multiple races (e.g. a 5K and a 10K) you are allowed to switch races but you must do so via email no later than 24 hours before the event. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request switches, and for a thorough explanation of this policy, please read this post.
• Results are finalized 72 hours after the end of a race. If you have any discrepencies or questions about results, please contact email@example.com within 48 of the end of the race.
• No skates, strollers (including running strollers), bicycles, or animals are permitted in a given race.
• Participants in events must stay within course boundaries, as designated by traffic cones, barriers, and/or other markings, at all times. Failure to do so may result in disqualification and ineligibility for future NYCRUNS events.
• Please use only the toilet facilities provided.
• Participant numbers must be fully visible at all times, unobstructed, on front of torso.
• Use of headphones is strongly discouraged. In some races, it may be forbidden. Please read this post for an explanation.
• Participants are advised not to invite anyone not officially registered for the event to join in any part of the race.
• NYCRUNS reserves the right to reject any entry and to disqualify and bar any individual from any NYCRUNS event. This rejection/disqualification may be based on, but is not limited to: violation of the aforementioned rules; unsportsmanlike conduct; non-payment of race fees; competing with an unofficial number; competing with an official number or BibTag assigned to another person; transferring or attempting to transfer an official number or BibTag to, or to obtain such number or BibTag from, another person; crossing the finish line without having completed the entire course; and providing false information on the race entry form. Individuals disqualified from a race will be removed from the race results and may be barred from future NYCRUNS events.
For questions about these rules and regulations, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scoring & Awards*
• The top 3 in each gender are scored by gun time. All age group awards are done by net (electronic) time.
• NYCRUNS scores by 5-year age groups between the ages of 10 and 70, i.e. 10-14, 15-19, 20-24, etc. Under 10 and 70+ are treated as distinct categories.
• For most NYCRUNS races, awards will be given to the top 3 in each gender and the 1st place man and woman in each age group (there are no awards for 2nd and 3rd place in each age group). For the Brooklyn Marathon, the Central Park Marathon & Half-Marathon, and the Yonkers Marathon & Half-Marathon awards will also be given to 2nd and 3rd place in each age group. There are no formal awards for the Wednesday night Riverside Park Series. Exceptions will be noted on the race page.
• You MUST email us after the race to receive an award. If you do not email us with your address, placement, and the exact event in which you placed, you will not receive your award. Write to email@example.com. Awards may be picked up at the NYCRUNS office, 223 Jay St #203, Brooklyn NY 11201.
* The above applies to races owned and produced by NYCRUNS. NYCRUNS also provides registration and timing services for client races which may or may not have their own rules.